Friday, June 4, 2010

Of Rafa & Rafa

My heart is aching and my soul is grieving. The manager who was so beloved at Liverpool, and by me too, is leaving the club. I guess this end was inevitable in the light of the events that have taken place since the new owners took over the club.

No thanks to Hicks & Gillett, Rafa Benitez is leaving the club he Truly, Madly, Deeply loved. Yes, he may have made some mistakes in his purchases of new players or employing certain tactics in some of the games, but hey, name me one manager who has not made such mistakes. It's easy for commentators, who have the gift of hindsight, to make comments that have been critical of the manager or the club.

For a club that has prided itself in the motto "You'll Never Walk Alone", today's events have opened my eyes to just how much the club has changed with the induction of the Americans. For a club well known for its history and the loyalty of its supporters, it's sad to see that it has become one that airs its dirty laundry for all to see and there is a lack of unity in all ranks, be it the players, the manager, the board or the owners and sometimes, the fans themselves.

Rafa, I wish you all the best. You are the only manager in my lifetime who has brought delight and reward for my support. The tears I've shed during your tenure, in pain and in joy, will be remembered even long after you've gone. If it's true that you're joining Inter Milan, then I sincerely wish that their fans will appreciate you as much as I have. Thanks!

On a much happier note, Nadal is through to the semis at Roland Garros! Yay! He is still way off his best but he's getting back there so I hope he lifts the cup this year. I hope it will be a Soderling-Nadal final so that Nadal will get his revenge on his defeat last year.

Well, it's just one more week to the world's greatest event - the World Cup! Olé olé olé!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, i'm sure Liverpool will find someone who is capable to bringing glory to LFC. But the financial issue is going to make it very very difficult, same as Man u. Maybe one day Man U & LFC will fight for coca cola championship one day. ha ha.....